Border checks ‘political vandalism’ to Good Friday Agreement

first_img Facebook A Donegal Deputy is calling for immediate clarity over the potential location of custom checks for cross-border trade in the event of a No-Deal Brexit. Discussions have taken place between the Irish Government and the European Commission on the issue but there are serious concerns over the impact checks would have on both the Good Friday Agreement and border areas like Donegal.Deputy Pearse Doherty says any custom checks on the island would be unsustainable and a retrograde step for the country and the peace process.He’s demanding that the Government provide more details as to what exactly they intend to do in a no deal scenario:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/peafghgfhgfhgfrsechecks.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Twitter News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th By News Highland – September 6, 2019 Border checks ‘political vandalism’ to Good Friday Agreement Pinterest Twitter DL Debate – 24/05/21 Facebook Google+ Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows center_img Previous articleLack of nursing posts in Donegal still major problem – INMONext article25 people awaiting in-patient beds at LUH News Highland WhatsApp AudioHomepage BannerNews RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 Google+ WhatsApp Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Pinterestlast_img read more

KPAI condemns threats against students participating in Job Creation Law protests

first_imgThe Indonesian Child Protection Commission (KPAI) has urged regional administrations across the country to refrain from infringing on young people’s rights as an alleged form of punishment against students found to have participated in protests against the Job Creation Law.KPAI commissioner Retno Listyarti said she was concerned by reports of “threats” made by several heads of education agencies against student protesters.“[Student protesters] were warned they would be expelled, moved to Paket C [high school equivalent program] and transferred to schools [in remote areas],” Retno said on Wednesday as quoted by tempo.co. She went on to say that students who protested peacefully without committing any crimes must not be subjected to threats or punishments by authorities as they were merely exercising their right to free speech.“A child’s right to an education must still be fulfilled by regional administrations […] in accordance with the Constitution.”Retno called on every stakeholder in the sector to provide counseling to student protesters with the support and consent of their parents and teachers, instead of threatening them with expulsion.“The involvement of parents and teachers is crucial to hold a healthy dialogue,” she said. Read also: ‘We are not yet defeated’: Students condemn govt’s dismissal of jobs law protestsReports previously circulated of regional administrations cracking down on student protests against the omnibus law.Tangerang municipality and regency administrations had listed the names of student protesters on official police records with the intent of deterring their participation in future demonstrations.“[Students] will keep carrying their records. When they apply for jobs or continue their studies, [the police] will bring up their records,” Tangerang Police chief Sr. Comr. Ade Ary Syam Indradi said on Tuesday as quoted by kompas.com.Tangerang Police chief Sr. Comr. Sugeng Hariyanto asked that parents discourage their children from joining the demonstrations against the omnibus law, noting that the administration would take strict measures against student protesters.“Parents must understand that students’ participation in the protests will complicate their graduation,” Sugeng said, adding that Tangerang municipality and regency had secured a total of 115 student protesters. (rfa)Topics :last_img read more

Gregg Berhalter named USMNT head coach

first_imgColumbus’ form faltered in 2018 as talk of Berhalter’s impending departure grew, but the team recovered to upset DC United in the play-offs and reach the Eastern Conference semi-finals.37 – Gregg Berhalter is the 37th head coach in #USMNT history. Since the start of 2014, no #MLS club scored more goals from corners than Berhalter’s Columbus Crew. Welcome. pic.twitter.com/PQB3ElImu5— OptaJack (@OptaJack) December 2, 2018Crew chairman Anthony Precourt said on Sunday: “On behalf of the club, I want to congratulate Gregg and thank him for his visionary leadership and commitment to establishing Columbus Crew SC as a consistently high-performing, playoff-caliber team.”Precourt drew criticism for his public attempts to move the Crew from Columbus to Austin during Berhalter’s time at the club. Gregg Berhalter has been appointed as the United States’ new head coach after months of speculation.USA had been without a permanent boss since October 2017 when Bruce Arena quit after failing to guide the team to the 2018 World Cup, the States missing the finals for the first time since 1986. Dave Sarachan had taken charge of a series of friendlies in the meantime as US Soccer delayed making a decision on an appointment, with his contract up at the end of the year following friendly defeats to England and Italy last month.And Berhalter has belatedly been confirmed as the new man, as expected, leaving Columbus Crew in MLS after five years.He becomes the first USA coach to have represented the country as a player at a World Cup, collecting 44 caps as he played a prominent role at the 2002 finals in Japan and South Korea.The first U.S. World Cup veteran to coach the #USMNT. Gregg Berhalter has a message for all our supporters:— U.S. Soccer MNT (@ussoccer_mnt) December 2, 2018″This is a tremendous honor,” Berhalter said. “Having played for the national team, I know what it means to represent our country.”I believe in our players and our program and, together, we will work to build something special and develop a team that will make our supporters proud.”US Soccer announced that the appointment was ratified by unanimous vote at a meeting on Saturday.Berhalter has long been tipped for the role, having reached the MLS Cup final in 2015, where the Crew were beaten by the Portland Timbers.last_img read more

Disney Announces Plan to Furlough Most Employees Beginning April 18

first_imgDisney announced Thursday afternoon that beginning April 19, it will furlough employees whose jobs “are not necessary at this time.”“The COVID-19 pandemic is having a devastating impact on our world with untold suffering and loss and has required all of us to make sacrifices. Over the last few weeks, mandatory decrees from government officials have shut down a majority of our businesses,” Disney says in a statement.Employees have received their full pay and benefits since the parks closed on March 15. They will be paid through April 18. “With no clear indication of when we can restart our businesses, we’re forced to make the difficult decision to take the next step and furlough employees whose jobs aren’t necessary at this time,“ Disney’s statement continues.Any impacted worker will remain a Disney employee through the entire furlough period and continue to receive full healthcare benefits.last_img read more

USO blanks Perry in preparation for semifinal rematch

first_imgby Malik Vincent For New Pittsburgh Courier The dress rehearsal for a Nov. 10 City League semifinal took place a week early as USO (University Prep, Sci-Tech, and Obama) racked up another shutout victory against defending champs Perry, 12-0.Jaylen Coleman rushed for 110 yards, pacing the offense, and is proving he can play the position with regularity. “He’s beginning to show patience with his blocking,” USO Coach Lou Berry said. “It’s no longer about the big play with him. He’s starting to gain the instincts that are required to play the tailback position.”Seniors Dontae Forte and Kevaun Frenzley scored on runs of one and seven, respectively, for the Panthers on the night of Nov. 4.With the semifinal matchups set, USO and Perry will prepare for another clash at Cupples Stadium on the South Side; as the two and three seeds in the city.With the league’s best overall record, USO’s only loss of the season was against the regular season champs, Brashear which is undefeated in League play, in week two.“We’ve been very successful for much of the year,” Berry said. “But in order to get past Perry and make it to that title game, we have to simplify the game as best as we can. We must play to the whistle and make sure we’re not seeing too much blue and white in our backfield.”The Nov. 10 playoff game between USO and Perry will kick off at 6 p.m.Brashear won by forfeit over Langley to give the Mustangs no wins in what could be their final year of City League play. Langley may close after this school year.“We’re excited about the opportunity to get out there and maybe get a shot to be in another title game,” Brashear coach Rick Murphy said. “We have a senior-laden team that has so much experience in these types of games. Some of these guys have been around this since their freshman year, so they pretty much know what to expect.”Their opponent for the other City semifinal game, set for Nov. 11, is Allderdice. The Dragons were able to finish with a winning record in league play with a 34-0 win over Carrick last week.The game will kick off at 7 p.m.—also in the home confines of Cupples Stadium.Other games:*Westinghouse dropped its final game of the season to Oliver, 34-6.(Follow our continuing coverage of the City League and add your comments to our website at www.newpittsburghcourieronline.com. Malik Vincent can be reached at [email protected]­courier.com, www.facebook.com/malikvincent or on twitter: @malikvincent.) WILL GRAHAM from Allderdice picks up yards after making a catch against Carrick. Graham had a 82 yard touchdown catch in the Dragons 34-0 win. (Courier Photos/William McBride) last_img read more