Federer survives Wimbledon scare, Nadal eases through

first_imgFederer survives Wimbledon scare, Nadal eases throughEIGHT-time champion Roger Federer survived a first-set scare to see off South African debutant Lloyd Harris and reach the Wimbledon second round.Federer, 37, moved through the gears to win 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-2 on Centre Court.The Swiss, aiming for a record-extending ninth men’s title, will face Britain’s Jay Clarke next.Third seed Rafael Nadal faced fewer problems against Japanese qualifier Yuichi Sugita, winning 6-3, 6-1, 6-3 to set up a meeting with Nick Kyrgios.Harris, 22, had never even won a match on grass going into his meeting with arguably the greatest player of all-time.But the world number 86 rocked Federer with blistering serves consistently around 130mph and backed that up with some heaving groundstrokes in a first set which left Centre Court murmuring in disbelief.After breaking Federer’s serve for a 4-2 lead, Harris confidently sealed the opener in 29 minutes, as he threatened to create one of the most seismic shocks ever seen at Wimbledon.Federer, who had dropped a set in the first round at Wimbledon for the first time since 2010, seemed to lack the assurance which has rarely gone missing in his illustrious career.“I struggled early on. I felt a bit frozen, my legs weren’t going,” he told BBC Sport.“I felt it was heavy out there, the ball wasn’t going when I was hitting it and he was hitting it big.”Nadal also made a slow start as 30-year-old Sugita broke his opening serve in the first game, with the world number 274 threatening to go 3-0 up before the Spaniard fought back from 0-40 to hold.The sense of shock around Court One did not last much longer though, with 33-year-old Nadal breaking back in the next game and taking control with four of the next five to clinch the opening set.Sugita, who had won only one previous match at SW19, offered little resistance from that point as two-time champion Nadal raced through the second set and dominated the third, crucially breaking in the eighth game.That set up a tantalising meeting with controversial Australian Kyrgios, who beat compatriot Jordan Thompson in an entertaining five-setter earlier yesterday.Nadal accused Kyrgios of “lacking respect” after the 24-year-old beat him in Acapulco earlier this year, with Kyrgios describing the 18-time Grand Slam champion as “super salty” in a recent podcast.Asked about the attention surrounding their relationship, Nadal said: “Being honest, I’m too old for all this stuff. What I said, I said. That’s all.“I’m not a guy who will be in a fight with anybody. I will keep doing things I love. Tomorrow I will be back in this amazing place.“At the beginning of this match it was tough. There are a lot of things to improve.” (BBC Sport)Caption:Roger Federer was imperious at the net, winning 94% of the points when he came forward.last_img read more

Eco-Tours Sept. 26 in Eastern Monmouth

first_imgWe can all learn to live greener simply by seeing what our neighbors are doing. And the public will have the opportunity to see what others are doing to make their own lives and communities more sustainable in the upcoming Monmouth Eco-Tours, scheduled for Sept. 26-27.On Saturday, Sept. 26, those interested can visit sites in the eastern portion of the county, with designated locations in Red Bank, Rumson, Middletown, Tinton Falls, Ocean, West Long Branch and Long Branch. The following day visitors will be welcomed at spots in the county’s western side in Marlboro, Freehold and Manalapan.More locations may be added by tour dates.At the various stops people can see how others undertake such projects as mushroom cultivation, rainwater collection, community gardens, beekeeping, urban farming practices and other environmentally friendly activities that will benefit the planet in the long run.“All these things we can teach people how to do, things they may have heard about them but didn’t necessarily know how to do,” said Diane Burke, whose Rumson backyard and garden is part of the planned tour.The two days of tours is part of a Transition Initiative that residents around the county have begun undertaking. The initiative movement was first proposed by Transition United States in this country, and globally by Transition Network, a United Kingdom organization, to engage communities in undertaking long-term pro-environmental programs.“It’s private people who have something to offer that they’re doing that’s green and sustainable or for a better earth,” said Burke of her involvement.Burke has been composting for the last few years, using water barrels and attachments for her garden among other efforts and plans on explaining their benefits to visitors on the tour.“It’ll teach people to be sustainable is all something that we have to realize we have to start doing,” Burke said.“We’re using up way too much of the earth and taking it for granted,” she explained. “And it feels really good to live in a more green way,” she continued. “Here you’re honoring the earth and seeing how precious everything is.”To see a tour map and for more information log onto sites.google.com/site/transitionmonmouth/home.last_img read more