Swansea’s loss will be Newcastle’s gain, says new signing Jonjo Shelvey

first_img He said: “I want game time. I was told I didn’t suit the style of Swansea’s play by the manager. I never once asked to leave, I never came out in an interview to say that. “It’s just that I wasn’t going to play, wasn’t getting my chance and I needed a new challenge. I was lucky a massive club showed interest in me and I’m a very fortunate boy to be here, and I realise that. “The Swansea fans got on my back a bit at the end, without knowing what was going on behind the scenes. I was training hard and competing for a place in the team. “I’d played the majority of games in the season and picked up five bookings – I was suspended and didn’t come back. I never got a chance of getting back in the team, so I felt I was a bit hard done by. The fans got on my back and said I had a bad attitude without really knowing what was going on behind the scenes. “Obviously it is going to be Swansea’s loss in the end. I’m just lucky enough to find a club in Newcastle that have shown interest in me.” Shelvey, who is likely to make his debut for the Magpies against West Ham on Saturday, revealed he received the seal of approval for his move from former Newcastle boss Kenny Dalglish, under whom he worked during his time at Liverpool. He said: “I got a phone call from him last night when I was at the MetroCentre – I didn’t realise how big that was either! He said, ‘You have got bundles of ability, get yourself right and you will be fine and the fans will love you up there’. “He has been here and he has done that. What a thing for one of the best players in the world of all time to ring you and say that. It was a big thing for me – it was more of a big thing for my dad. The 23-year-old England international’s attitude was questioned as his spell at the Liberty Stadium turned sour, with interim boss Alan Curtis seemingly having decided he was surplus to requirements in the wake of his predecessor Garry Monk’s departure. However, Shelvey, who started only two games in his final two months in south Wales and was involved in a heated exchange with a fan after the second of them, Sunday’s FA Cup third-round defeat at Oxford, has vowed to make the Swans pay after sealing a £12million switch to St James’ Park. Newcastle new boy Jonjo Shelvey insists he is no bad boy after an ignominious exit from Swansea. “It’s nice that I am getting people ring me like that, but it is down to me now to kick on.” Meanwhile, head coach Steve McClaren has confirmed that midfielder Cheick Tiote has travelled to China to discuss a proposed move to Shanghai Shenhua. McClaren said: “There’s an approach from a Chinese team and Cheick is currently on his way to meet them. “There’s no agreement, nothing has been finalised, nothing has been agreed, the player is just going out there to have a chat with them and see how that ends up.” As a result, Tiote will not be in the squad for the West Ham game, unlike Florian Thauvin, who is available for selection despite suggestions he could rejoin Marseille on loan after failing to settle on Tyneside. But Holland international Siem De Jong will be missing for up to two weeks after suffering an eye injury, which required hospital treatment, in training. Should Shelvey, as expected, get the nod against the Hammers, he will hope to put a difficult period in his career firmly behind him after losing his place at Swansea within months of signing a new four-year contract last summer. He said: “I couldn’t put my finger on it. I was coming home and being down around the house. But at the training ground, I was working hard to get back in the team. “I’m not one to go knocking on the manager’s door. I let my football do the talking. I had players coming up to me surprised and asking, ‘What have you done? Why aren’t you playing? What’s going on?’. “I honestly couldn’t tell them, I couldn’t put my finger on it. I was so shocked that I wasn’t named in squads. “I came home one day after I’d been dropped against Manchester City and I was nearly in tears. “I rang the chairman and asked what was going on. He said he didn’t feel that my head was right and that the manager had said that. “I felt forced out of the club. I never once asked to leave the club or gave an interview saying I wanted to leave, so it was a bit forced.” Shelvey has been a fixture in Roy Hodgson’s England squad this season and knows he needs to be playing if he is to earn a dream trip to this summer’s Euro 2016 finals in France. He said: “I’ve been in every squad this season – but if you’re not playing at your club, then you don’t expect to get picked.” Press Associationlast_img read more

President Trump expected in Palm Beach County on Friday

first_imgPresident Donald Trump  is expected to arrive in South Florida on Friday to spend the holidays at his Mar-a-Lago resort on Palm Beach.The Town of Palm Beach and the Federal Aviation Administration said road closures and flight restrictions will start Friday morning all the way through Sunday, January 5th.It is unclear what time exactly Trump will fly into Palm Beach. This visit follows his impeachment.BREAKING: House Passes Vote to Impeach President Trumplast_img

NHL players on board with daily COVID-19 testing if season resumes

first_imgWASHINGTON: National Hockey League (NHL) players are on board with frequent testing for COVID-19 if games can resume this summer.The league, mulling a restart of the season in July, on Sunday confirmed that it will test all players for the coronavirus daily if games resume. “You need testing at a level sufficient to be confident that you’re going to be on top of anything which might happen,” NHL Players’ Association executive director Don Fehr said. “If that turns out to be daily, and that’s available, that’s OK.” “Having it each and every day can limit the potential of getting the virus,” Edmonton Oilers player Darnell Nurse said. “If that’s what it takes, if that’s what they believe is the best option, then that’s the way you have to go.” Connor McDavid, captain of the Edmonton Oilers, also supported the daily testing protocol. McDavid said: “I think you have to get tested in a time like this, and you want to get tested as frequently as you can.” IANS Also Read: Japan round of MotoGP cancelledlast_img read more

Other Sports Olympic quota already booked, Indian men’s recurve team reaches World Archery C’ships final

first_imgDen Bosch : The Olympic quota already booked, the Indian’s men’s recurve team reached the final of the World Archery Championships for the first time since 2005 after it shocked a formidable Netherlands here Thursday.  The Indian team will be seeking its maiden title as it faces China in the summit clash on Sunday. China ousted top seed Korea 6-2 in the other semifinal Thursday. A day after securing the 2020 Tokyo Olympics three-man quota by making the quarterfinals, the India trio of Tarundeep Rai, Atanu Das and Pravin Jadhav held their nerves to come from behind and win 29-28 in the shoot-off for an overall score of 5-4.This is the second time ever when the men’s recurve team reached the World Championships final. At Madrid 2005, the Indian team comprising Rai, Jayanta Talukdar and Gautam Singh had lost to Korea 232-244 in the summit clash.India also remained in the medal contention in the women’s compound team event as the trio of Jyothi Surekha Vennam, Muskan Kirar and Raj Kaur faces Turkey in the bronze medal playoff Saturday.Asian Games silver medalist Jyothi will also fight for a second bronze when she takes on world number two Yesim Bostan of Turkey in the third place play-off on Saturday.Having thrashed Chinese Taipei 6-0 in the quarterfinals, the Indian men’s recurve team found a strong challenge from the second seeded home team led by world number two Steve Wijler, a bronze medallist two years ago in Mexico City.The other two players of Netherlands were 2016 Rio Olympics semifinalist Sjef van den Berg and London 2012 semifinalist Rick.The Indians twice trailed in the match but spearheaded by Rai, who was a member of the silver winning team at the Madrid World Championship 14 years ago, the trio showed character to bounce back each time and forced the match to the shoot-off.Using the conditions better than the home team, the Indians shot a near-perfect 29 out of 30 to edge out the Netherlands by one point.This was also for the first time since 2014 the Indian men’s team reached the final of a world event. India had ended up with a silver at the Wroclaw Stage IV World Cup in 2014 with Rai, Das and Jayanta Talukdar in the team.The Indian team last won a gold in a World Cup event nine years ago at the World Cup Stage IV in Shanghai with Rai being a member of that team also.“He’s our great motivation now. It’s a great moment for us,” Das said after the match, giving credit to senior teammate Rai.“Last few years, I was struggling in all the three events—individual, mixed pair and team events. I was up to the mark but not able to put up any medal-winning show. I tried harder and harder and finally it happened.”Asked about the summit clash against China, Das said, “We will give our best show. We are really proud.”The Netherlands grabbed a 2-0 lead with two perfect 10s, including one X (closest to centre), to win the first set 56-54.But the home team had a poor opening in the second set with scores of 6, 8 and 8 as the Indians seized the momentum to win 52-49 and bring the match on an even keel (2-2).Not ready to give up easily, the Netherlands’ trio had a near flawless third set with one 10 and two Xs to snatch a 4-2 lead before winning by one point (57-56).The Indians then produced their best show of the match with four perfect 10s including two Xs to level the match 4-all for an exciting shoot-off finish.Meanwhile, the 22-year-old Jyothi’s dream run was halted by Paige Pearce of the USA as she suffered a poor start to lose by three points (140-143).In the pre-quarterfinals, Jyothi stunned former world youth champion and tournament top seed Tanja Jensen of Denmark in a thrilling two-way tie-break after they were locked 146-all.In the first tie-break, both of them shot X (10-10) as the Vijayawada girl remained undeterred and produced yet another perfect score to edge out her opponent by one point (10-9).Continuing her giant-killing run, Jyothi ousted Sarah Prieels of Belgium 147-141 in the quarterfinals.Among other compound individual entries, Abhishek Verma, Rajat Chauhan and Bhagwan Das all made third round exits, while Muskan Kirar, who had a seventh place finish in the ranking round, lost out in the quarterfinal.Compound mixed pair of Muskan and Verma went down to their Korean opponents by just one point (155-156) to make a quarterfinal exit.In the recurve individual section, Tarundeep Rai made a pre-quarterfinal exit, losing to Sjev van den Berg 3-7, while Deepika lost to Alejandra Valencia 4-6 in the third round. For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Super Falcons Land in Final against S’Africa, as Both Teams Qualify…

first_imgFemi SolajaAfter 120 minutes of energy sapping encounter which ended goalless, it was Super Falcons defender, Ngozi Ebere’s well taken penalty kick that shoots Nigeria ahead of Lioness of Cameroon into the final match of African Women football tournament (AWCON) but more significantly earned the country a World Cup ticket next year in France.The feat also puts Nigeria as the only country on the continent to appear in all the editions of the tournament since the maiden edition in China in 1991. Like it was in the opening group B matches of the tournament, the team will face the Bayana Bayana of South Africa in the final match on Saturday and both teams will have a lot to play for with Falcons seeking a revenge while the South Africans will aim at conforming their prowess as the new champion on the continent.The win against Indomitable Lionesses of Cameroon however did not come that easy as their determined opponent played a more robust football and controlled the early part of the match played at the Accra Sports Stadium and certainly looked quite skilful against the Cup holders, but the experienced Super Falcons held them at bay, and when the defence got breached, goalkeeper Tochukwu Oluehi was there to keep things tidy.Cameroon came close to score as early as the 4th minute through Ongene whose rising shot almost cut Nigeria’s goalkeeper on wrong foot but her intuition saved the situation and some minutes later, the Lionesses were on the prowl again with a firm header, but Oluehi again was alert. In the 10th minute, Gaelle Enganamouit tested the Nigeria goal with a snap shot. Again Oluehi was aware.In the closing stages of the first period, Nigeria pushed forward a bit, but an attempt by Francisca Ordega to steal the ball from two defenders was fruitless, and Asisat Oshoala’s crisp shot was well saved.In the second half, the fit and technically savvy Cameroonians tried to pull strings from the midfield, only to meet their match in Halimatu Ayinde, Ngozi Okobi and Rita Chikwelu. Okobi wasted a glorious chance in the 54th minute and at the other end, Oluehi again came to the rescue as Ngo Mbeleck’s chip appeared headed for the net.Both teams hung on in a tedious, tiring extra time, with players spending quality time on the floor.In the penalty shootout, Njoya Ajara and Raisa Feudjio scored for the Lionesses, with Onome Ebi and Rasheedat Ajibade netting for Nigeria, but Enganamouit’s effort was caught by Oluehi and after Oshoala scored to put Nigeria ahead, the tireless Ngo Mbeleck saw her kick fly past the goalpost.Defender Ngozi Ebere then put her effort firmly past goalkeeper Ngo Ndom to put Nigeria in the final and earn a ticket to the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France.In the other semi final match, goals from Thembi Kgatlana and a rocket from fullback, Ramalepe sealed the final spot for South Africa against Mali.Either the Lionesses of Cameroon or Mali can still qualify for the World Cup, depending on which of them win the losers’ final in Cape Coast on Friday.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

USC falls behind in first half and doesn’t recover

first_imgA barrage of three-pointers by senior guard Donte Smith was not enough for USC as they fell to California Saturday night, 68-66.Smith made 8-of-12 three-pointers for a career-high 24 points in 29 minutes off the bench. His eight three-point baskets were the second-most by a Trojan in a game, and only one less than Anthony Pendleton made on Dec. 9, 1987.En fuego · Senior guard Donte Smith hit eight three-pointers and registered a new career-high with 24 points off the bench against Cal. – Robin Laird | Daily Trojan“I do not care if I have a career-best game,” Smith said. “If we lose, I am always going to be down.”For as well as Smith played, junior forward Nikola Vucevic struggled. Vucevic was hit in the jaw early in the game, causing him to bleed from his nose and mouth. Vucevic fouled out of the game with only six points on two-of-eight shooting, and 10 rebounds.“Nikola let an injury take him out of the game completely,” said USC coach Kevin O’Neill. “He needs to be able to deal with adversity during the course of games. Hopefully that will be something he can learn going forward.”With Vucevic on the bench for much of the second half with four fouls, freshman forward Garrett Jackson saw increased playing time. Jackson had eight points and six rebounds off the bench, as USC’s reserves outscored California’s 32-9.Freshman guard Maurice Jones added 10 points for the Trojans (11-9, 3-4). Junior guard Jio Fontan had eight points and a game-high seven assists.Forward Harper Kamp led California (10-9, 3-4) with 19 points and seven rebounds. Center Mark Sanders-Frison contributed 12 points and eight rebounds for the Golden Bears.It was a streaky game for USC.The Trojans started the game cold, only making one of their first 11 shots, and the team took 4:43 seconds to score their first points, on a dunk by senior forward Alex Stepheson.Smith came off the bench and hit two quick three pointers, sparking a 14-0 run that gave the Trojans a 16-8 lead.After that point, however, the Golden Bears went on a 22-6 run of their own, and went into halftime with a 30-22 lead. The Trojans only shot .286 from the field in the opening half.Smith continued his hot shooting in the second half. He scored 12 consecutive points for the Trojans, helping USC regain the lead at 52-50 on a three-point basket by Jackson.The teams then traded leads. California gained momentum when Fontan was charged with an intentional foul against Kamp. The Golden Bears were awarded two free throws and the ball, allowing them to score four points on the possession and extend their lead to 62-57.“I was not trying to hurt him,” Fontan said. “I was trying to go for the ball, and if I could not get the ball, I was not going to let him get an easy shot.”The Trojans battled back and cut California’s lead to one point on a lay-up by Fontan. On the next possession, the Golden Bears made the second of two free throws.USC had six seconds to take the ball the length of the court with no timeouts remaining, forcing Fontan to rush and take an off-balance three-pointer that bounced off the rim.After allowing Stanford to only make .222 of their shots on Thursday, California shot .542 in the second half.“We preach all the time if you do not play defense, you do not win,” O’Neill said. “We could not get stops in crucial situations.”The Trojans travel to Tempe, Arizona to play at Arizona State Thursday.USC does not return to the Galen Center until Feb. 10, when they host Oregon State.last_img read more

Pistorius Walks on Stumps to Show Court His Disability

first_imgOscar Pistorius has removed his prosthetic limbs and hobbled around the courtroom at his sentencing hearing in South Africa.The former Olympic athlete was on his stumps when he shot his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp through a door at his home in 2013, and his defence made much of his vulnerability.The hearing in Pretoria was called after a court convicted him of murder, overturning a manslaughter verdict. Pistorius will be sentenced on July 6.The six-time Paralympic gold medallist, whose legs were amputated below the knee as a baby, made history by becoming the first amputee sprinter to compete at the Olympics in 2012, running on prosthetic “blades”.Judge Thokozile Masipa also has granted permission for the crime scene photos to be made public – a request made by Ms Steenkamp’s father, who gave emotional testimony on Tuesday, saying Pistorius should pay for killing his daughter.On Wednesday, the Pretoria High court heard testimony from Ms Steenkamp’s cousin Kim Martin, who said the victim had not loved Pistorius though she had been fond of him.The athlete’s defence team had argued that he mistook Ms Steenkamp for an intruder.The double amputee faces a jail term of 15 years but it may be reduced due to time already spent in prison and mitigating factors.Oscar Pistorius has spent all his life fighting misconceptions about disabled people but today, with this fate hanging in the balance, he hobbled in the courtroom before Judge Masipa – desperate to show his vulnerability.Very few people have seen this world-renowned athlete this way. Over the course of his trial, we learned of a self-conscious Pistorius worlds apart from the demi-god celebrated for his sporting prowess.It is one of those moments that will remain etched on the minds of many – it is beyond doubt that defence lawyer Barry Roux made an impression here. But theatrics aside, Gerrie Nel, for the prosecution, reminded the world of the hard facts: Reeva Steenkamp was dead and Oscar Pistorius killed her.Mr Nel argued that South Africa’s high murder rate and seeming leniency of the courts could no longer go unchallenged. He implored the judge to not let this be “business as usual”.Now Judge Masipa, a decorated and well-respected judge, who though soft-spoken speaks with authority, is now faced with the difficult task of imposing a sentence.Making his final plea for the defence, lawyer Barry Roux stressed his client’s disability as he gave his version of events at the former athlete’s home on Valentine’s Day (14 February) 2013.“It is three o’clock in the morning, it is dark, he is on his stumps,” he said.“His balance is seriously compromised and… he would not be able to defend himself. He was anxious, he was frightened…“He believed the person in the toilet was an intruder and deceased was at the time in the bed,” Mr Roux said.The lawyer asked Pistorius to remove his prosthetic limbs and the sobbing former star, who was wearing shorts, took them off and hobbled about.He argued that a sentence with community service should be considered.In his closing argument for the prosecution, state lawyer Gerrie Nel pushed for a severe penalty.“He knew there was someone behind the door,” he said.“Using a lethal weapon, a loaded firearm, the accused fired not one but four shots to the toilet door. He failed to provide any acceptable version for his conduct.”Ms Martin, who was called as the final witness for the prosecution, said she did not believe the true version of events had come out.Mr Roux asked her about the couple’s relationship.Ms Steenkamp, a model and law graduate, was excited and fond of Pistorius, “but I couldn’t see love”, Ms Martin replied.Pistorius was initially jailed for manslaughter in 2014 and was released into house arrest after a year, but his conviction was changed to murder in December 2015 after the prosecution appealed.He had been released from prison last October and allowed to serve out the remainder of his initial sentence under house arrest at his uncle’s property in Pretoria, the capital of South Africa.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

GIG strengthens M&A growth strategy with SEK 400 million bond issuance

first_img StumbleUpon Submit GiG launches WSN Podcast hosted by Bill Krackomberger  June 18, 2020 Robin Reed, Gaming Innovation GroupFurther to yesterday’s announcement that Oslo-listed Gaming Innovation Group will enter the UK betting market launching its Nordic flagship betting brands Guts.com and Super Lenny.GIG governance has further detailed that the firm has secured a Nordic bond issuance of SEK 400 million (£35 million), which it will use to further exploit its ongoing M&A growth strategy.The Malta-based operator detailed that its bond issue had been ‘significantly oversubscribed’ with strong demand from a number of Nordic investors. The company has been further granted an SEK 1,250 million ‘borrowing cap’ for its acquisition initiatives. Bond settlement is expected to be 6 March 2017, with final maturity 6 March 2020. The bond issue has a fixed coupon of 7.0% p.a. GIG governance will make an application for the bonds to be listed on Oslo Stock Exchange.Updating investors and corporate stakeholders GIG Group CEO Robin Reed commented on the Nordic bond Issuance“Our vision is to interconnect the operators and suppliers of the iGaming industry in an eco-system. The proceeds from this bond placement will allow us to acquire and invest into marketing businesses and distribution channels. This will greatly increase our traffic driving capability to our rapidly expanding eco-system. More volumes will benefit all the stakeholders with advantages of scale.”ABG Sundal Collier ASA acted as sole manager in connection with the placement of the new bond issue. Share GiG ups code security oversight with Checkmarx July 10, 2020 GiG lauds its ‘B2B makeover’ delivering Q2 growth August 11, 2020 Share Related Articleslast_img read more

Fraudsters Jailed 40 Years

first_imgAbass Abubakar, 23, and Iddrisu Darjuma, a carpenter, 24, have been sentenced to 40 years’ imprisonment in hard labour for forging documents belonging to the Police and Immigration Services to defraud an American citizen.The prosecutor, ASP Sekyi, told the court that somewhere in 2009, Abass Abubakar met the victim on an electronic dating site called Date huke-up.He introduced himself as 63-year-old James, a contractor at Palm-Spring, a suburb of California in the United States of America.Coincidentally, the victim, Barbara Rich, was also a resident of the same state.After getting acquainted, Abubakar proposed to Rich, who also accepted.Later, Rich suggested that her new found love should meet her half way while she drove towards his residence. Though the accused was resident in Accra, he agreed to the visit.Two days to the date, he called back to tell Ms. Rich that some promoters and stakeholders of his late father’s gold firm in Accra were anxiously looking for him to take up his father’s position as the CEO of the company, and therefore he would not be able to honour the appointment.He later informed Ms. Rich that he had been made a shareholder in his father’s Gold estate and succeeded in collecting $250,000 dollars in instalment, within a period of one and half years, for buying and shipping gold to her in the USA.Though he failed to send the consignment, Abubakar further demanded an amount of $4000 to be given to police officers in-charge of the shipment to facilitate the process.The accused was baited with the said $4000 by the police, which led to his arrest at Circle, in the company of his accomplice, Iddrisu Darjuma aka Mumuni, who posed as the police officer in charge of the shipment of the gold to the victim. During interrogation, they both admitted the offence but Abubakar denied collecting the said $250,000 from the victim.He alleged that the victim gave him only $60,000, which he used to furnish his room.He also used part of the money to buy a flat screen television, a home-theatre system, a laptop and air-conditioner.The rest was used to tile his room.The television, laptop and the home theatre were retrieved from his room as exhibits. The two were sentenced after they pleaded guilty to four counts of defrauding by false pretences, conspiracy to commit crime, possessing forged documents and forgery of official documents.They were sentenced five years for each count to run concurrently.They however pleaded not guilty to two counts of defrauding by false pretences and conspiracy to commit crime.They are to reappear on April 18, 2011.The Director General, CID, after the conviction of the two, used the opportunity to advice foreigners who want to invest in Ghana to consult their respective embassies and the CID Headquarters in Accra for clarification. Source: Daily Guidelast_img read more

USA requests FIFA officials to be extradited

first_imgThe United States on Thursday requested that Switzerland extradites seven detained FIFA officials who were arrested on corruption charges back in May.Nine past and present FIFA officials were among 14 people indicted on charges of racketeering conspiracy and corruption following a major inquiry by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).The seven in question are able to challenge an extradition ruling, so the USA could face a lengthy wait before discovering whether its request will be granted.And the Swiss Federal Office of Justice (FOJ) revealed in a statement on Thursday: “The USA has asked Switzerland to extradite the seven FIFA officials arrested in Zurich. The formal extradition requests were submitted to the Federal Office of Justice (FOJ) yesterday evening.”The seven FIFA officials were arrested in Zurich on 27 May 2015 on the basis of a request from the USA, and detained pending extradition. On 1st July 2015, the US embassy in Bern submitted the formal extradition requests within the deadline laid down in the bilateral extradition treaty.”The requests are based on the arrest warrants issued on 20 May 2015 by the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York, which is investigating the high-ranking FIFA officers on suspicion of taking bribes worth over 100 million dollars. In return, those suspected of paying the bribes – representatives of sports media and sports promotion firms – are believed to have received media, marketing and sponsorship rights for soccer tournaments in the United States and in Latin America. These crimes are thought to have been agreed and prepared in the USA, and payments were allegedly routed through US banks. “Acting for the FOJ, the Zurich Cantonal Police will give the seven FIFA officials a hearing on the extradition requests. The FOJ will then grant the persons concerned, or their lawyers, a period of 14 days in which to respond to the request.”This time limit may be extended by 14 days if sufficient grounds exist. Drawing on the request, the hearings and the responses of the persons concerned, the FOJ will then rule on extradition within a few weeks. The FOJ’s extradition ruling may be challenged before the Federal Criminal Court, as well as before the Federal Supreme Court, as the ultimate court of appeal.”–last_img read more