Facebook Twitter Google+ All the week leading up to Syracuse’s match with Louisville on Friday, the Orange talked about wanting to get revenge for its most disappointing loss of the regular season.But Syracuse, which had faced only three deficits all season, found itself down two goals in the second half, needing its biggest uphill climb of the season.“Unfortunately we dug ourselves a hole tonight that we couldn’t quite dig ourselves out of,” SU head coach Ian McIntyre said. “…That second goal was an important one for them.“That second goal really kind of gave us a kick in the backside.”Finding a handful of quality opportunities, No. 1 Syracuse (15-3-1, 5-2-1 Atlantic Coast) couldn’t find the back of the net when it needed to, and was eliminated in the semifinals of the ACC tournament after losing to No. 19 Louisville (10-6-3, 4-3-1) 2-1 at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, North Carolina.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSyracuse outshot the Cardinals 7-5, but despite the numerous chances that the Orange was afforded, it continuously came up short. Just seconds before the final buzzer sounded, a shot off the post was inches away from being an equalizer.“We did create good chances in the first half, but couldn’t capitalize them,” McIntyre said. “We got back in there after Alex (Halis)’s goal and huffed and puffed until the end but just couldn’t get over the finish line.”In the 23rd minute, Halis scooted the ball past a defender to the left of the goal and powered a shot that was blocked away by Cardinals goalkeeper Joachim Ball.Later in the first half, a crossing pass to Korab Syla was set up perfectly for a goal. But again, Ball was in proper position, and SU’s junior midfielder walked away with his head in his hands.Cardinals forward Will Vitalis scored on a deflection with just over three minutes to play in the first half, and it was a lead that Louisville wouldn’t relinquish.“The game was disjointed, there wasn’t a real flow to it,” McIntyre said. “And that was credit to Louisville who had the one goal and was kind of just breaking up the game.”The lead was stretched to 2-0 in the 65th minute, when Tim Kubel crossed a header to Daniel Keller who would have scored had it not been for Ricardo Velazco, who tipped it in as the ball was about to cross the line.Syracuse hadn’t faced a two-goal deficit all season. It lost to Notre Dame 1-0 on Sept. 13. And it lost to the same Cardinals over a month later in overtime. Against Boston College, the Orange came back from a 1-0 deficit to win 2-1. But in an 18-game span, the Orange had never been out of a game quite like it was on Friday.Even though Halis scored off a rebound on a kick from midfielder Liam Callahan with 13 minutes remaining, the damage had already been done.A late offsides call with a minute to go sealed the game and the Orange’s ACC tournament fate. McIntyre said it’s hard to put this game in the context of a bigger picture because of how disappointing it was, but he did acknowledge that there is more important soccer to be played.“You’ve got to be prepared to put all your chips on the table,” McIntyre said. “You’ve really got to invest and lay everything on the line. And so when you do that and don’t win, it’s tough.“We’ll see how everything falls into place.” Comments Published on November 15, 2014 at 12:15 am Contact Sam: email@example.com | @SamBlum3
The Bahamas government has taken issue with the reports of the United States and Amnesty International on human rights issues in the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country.The Perry Christie government in separate statements said that it is preparing an official response and intends to issue a “formal protest’ on the matter.The government said that prior to the release of the US State Department’s 2016 report on human rights in The Bahamas, the government spoke with representatives of the United States government prior to the release of the report on human rights in the Bahamas.“During those conversations, it was made clear to the US that the proposed report contained significant inaccurate information with no basis in fact and in some cases incomplete information.“Now that the US report has been publically released, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Immigration is preparing an official response from The Bahamas Government and intends to issue a formal protest in this regard.”In the report, Washington noted that on July 8, last year, a foreign citizen reported he had been beaten by two or more corrections officers at the Bahamas Department of Corrections (BDOC).He said that following an altercation with an inmate, prison guards placed him in handcuffs, bent him over a cart, beat him with a PVC plumbing pipe wrapped in duct tape, and then took him back to his cell without providing any medical attention.The report also indicated that a migrant held in the immigration detention center in Freeport alleged unprompted, regular beatings from the guards, as well as inappropriate sexual behaviour toward female detainees.The report noted that inmates reported receiving only two meals per day, and often only one, with a meal sometimes consisting only of bread and tea.Regarding the 2016-17 Amnesty International report, the London-based human rights group criticised Nassau for its ““discriminatory” posture towards lesbian, gay, bisexual transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people and for the country’s constitutional referendum on gender equality.The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the “government takes no acts to discriminate against people based on their orientation, race, colour, creed, gender or religion.“The Bahamas Government shows that it is an equal opportunity protector of all citizens and residents of this country. In addition, the Government takes all appropriate steps to ensure that its citizens of whatever description are safe.“It is unfortunate, even in countries which are strong democracies with good human rights records, when there are public views espoused that are discriminatory. Nevertheless, The Bahamas Government is firmly committed to the protection of all its citizens.On the question of right to privacy of citizens, the Bahamas government said it wanted to reiterate “without qualification there is no threat to privacy in the Bahamas.“The reports of any such threat are entirely misplaced.,” it added.