…defends Speaker’s decision…it’s a matter of legality – HarmonIn light of the unprecedented chaos created in Parliament during Monday’s sitting of the National Assembly, the Government side of the House feels that the Opposition displayed grave disrespect for the Speaker of the House, Dr Barton Scotland. Natural Resources Minister and Leader of the Alliance for Change (AFC), Raphael Trotman said he has never witnessed such behaviour in the Parliament before and regardless of the differences the Speaker has always been shown respect.Police speaking with the Clerk of the National Assembly, Sherlock Isaacs“Whenever a Speaker has invited a member to sit, be quiet or refrain or withdraw; that has always been complied with. We have set a new precedent today and some may say we have descended to a new low,” Trotman said while providing his views on the situation.State Minister Joseph Harmon speaking to the pressTrotman, who served as Speaker of the National Assembly in the previous Parliament, said that from all indications the Speaker took the correct procedural steps. He noted that it was left up to the Clerk of the National Assembly in this case, Sherlock Isaacs, to decide if he believes that the Sergeant-at-Arms is incapable of enforcing the Speaker’s ruling to invite the Police in.“I would also like to say that none of us would like to see chaos erupting further in the House, and I think we have enough of it. At the end of the day, the parliamentary style we practice is one where the Speaker is the presiding officer and that presiding officer must be shown respect and the dignity of the House has to be maintained,” Trotman told media practitioners in the halls of Parliament.Meanwhile, in providing a comment on the issue, Minister of State, Joseph Harmon said it was a matter of the legality regarding the instruction given by the Speaker and the MP’s refusal to act on that instruction.Natural Resources Minister and Leader of the Alliance for Change (AFC) Raphael Trotman speaking to the press on Monday“It’s a question of the rule of law. The Speaker is the person who controls the business of this House and he cannot, Mr Edghill or no other member of the House, decide that they will violate these rules of the House by refusing to take action when the Speaker tells them to do so,” he stated.The Minister claims that no one shows respect for the Speaker’s rulings anymore, and he believes that the Speaker is entitled to do what he wishes to keep the House in order and the MPs in line.Business Minister Dominic Gaskin also had his views to share. He described the situation as “obnoxious behaviour” from the Opposition during a sitting and claimed that it was the second time that it has happened in the Parliament.Sit-inNo compromise was achieved when Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo and Dr Scotland met. However, the Opposition MPs continued their sit-in and collectively decided that they would stay until 22:00h, the time at which Parliament’s business was scheduled to be completed.Jagdeo later told the media that he raised the concern that the matter went beyond just the Speaker ruling to have Edghill removed from the chambers.“Subsequent actions of agents of the Parliament have led to Police coming here and the assault on many of our MPs, so it’s not a straightforward issue of a breach of the standing order any longer. It has several dimensions and the only thing we can do to defuse this situation is to adjourn for the day,” he stated.An attempt to supply the MPs with lamps was prevented as the Police and security at the Parliament seized the lamps purchased by Opposition MP Gillian Burton-Persaud. The decision to purchase these lamps was taken after the electricity, wi-fi and air conditioning in the chambers were turned off as the MPs continued their silent protest.
“There was a before and there will be an after the World Cup but it is up to us to seize the opportunity and do something about it,” added Infantino, who last month was re-elected for a second four-year term in charge of world football’s governing body.Rolling out a series of proposals for the development of the women’s game, Infantino said he would try to expand the competition in time for the next tournament in four years.“I think we should increase the number of participants,” said Infantino, who has succeeded in expanding the men’s tournament from 32 teams to 48 in time for the 2026 finals.“The tricky thing is that we have a World Cup coming in 2023 for which we started just a couple of months ago a bidding process based on 24 teams, so there we will need to act more quickly if we want to have more teams already in 2023.”This is only the second women’s World Cup since it was expanded from 16 teams to 24 in Canada four years ago. The competition started out with 12 teams in 1991.Infantino suggested that FIFA may need to “reopen the bidding process and allow everyone to have a chance to organise or maybe co-host” but claimed that “nothing is impossible”.A decision on who hosts the 2023 finals will be made next year, with Australia, Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Japan, South Africa, and New Zealand among the contenders, while the possibility of South Korea co-hosting with North Korea has also been raised.Earlier in the tournament, USA star Alex Morgan stated her wish to see the competition expanded to give developing countries more reason to invest in the women’s game.“It’s great to see quality games and quality teams, and my hope is eventually we cap it at 32 teams moving forward,” she said after her team’s 13-0 demolition of Thailand.Infantino also promised to double the prize fund for the next tournament having initially raised overall contributions from $15 million to $50 million in time for this year’s competition.When that increase was announced by FIFA late last year, it was criticised by players union FIFPro, who said it actually marked a “regressive trend” compared to the men’s tournament.The prize money for the 2018 men’s World Cup in Russia was $400 million, a $48 million increase from 2014.“I am very confident we can achieve the necessary figures,” Infantino said on Friday.– Club World Cup? –He said the increase was part of a wider plan to invest a further $500 million in the women’s game to achieve a total of $1 billion over the next four years.“We have more than $2.75 billion of reserves, we don’t need all this money in the Swiss banks, they have enough money,” said the 49-year-old.“We need to invest this in order to make the whole movement around the world grow.”His five-part plan for the future development of the women’s game also included establishing a “women’s World League” and creating a Club World Cup for women, “starting as soon as possible”.“We can develop national team football only if we develop club football as well, all over the world, not only in a few countries,” he said while speaking at the home of Lyon, who have won the last four women’s Champions Leagues.“We need a Club World Cup which can be played every year to expose clubs from all over the world and to make clubs — men’s clubs but also women’s clubs — invest even more in women’s football.”Infantino is already pushing ahead with plans to expand the existing men’s Club World Cup to 24 teams.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Gianni Infantino (3L), seen attending the women’s World Cup semi-final between England and the USA, proposed expanding the tournament to 32 teams © AFP/File / FRANCK FIFELYON, France, Jul 5 – FIFA president Gianni Infantino said on Friday he is determined to push ahead with plans to expand the women’s World Cup in time for the next tournament after hailing France 2019 as “the best ever”.Speaking at a press conference in Lyon, where the World Cup concludes on Sunday as holders the United States and the Netherlands contest the final, Infantino said the tournament had been “phenomenal” as he promised huge increases in investment in the women’s game and to the prize fund for future competitions.